Keeping an office building or any commercial space clean on a regular basis is absolutely crucial when it comes to maintaining the morale of the employees. No one wants to walk into an office space that’s carrying the mess from the previous shift. Not only can this be disparaging, but it also reflects poorly on the values of the organization.
In order to make matters simple, here is a complete guide on how to clean the office — from buildings and other commercial spaces with incredible ease and efficiency.
How to Clean an Office
A full workspace witnesses interactions between numerous people on a regular basis. Each individual brings their own mess to the table, and at the end of the day, an office ends up becoming a melting pot of bacteria and germs.
Keeping a commercial workspace clean is absolutely vital to the health and well-being of employees which is why we discuss the various steps involved in cleaning an office in this section.
The first step involved in cleaning a commercial workspace has to do with dusting the premises thoroughly. Using a damp microfiber cloth is the best way to wipe the dust off various surfaces around the office.
It is important to remove all important documents or items such as calendars, folders, stationary, and files in order to wipe down all the desks thoroughly.
Locating and cleaning unseen regions such as the area behind the power strips, behind the fan blades, or under window sills helps to keep the office entirely dust free.
The next crucial step with regard to cleaning an office is related to vacuuming the location. A general rule when vacuuming an office is to work from top to bottom. Additionally, it is important to switch between attachments and brushes to ensure that the right nozzle is being utilized when working on the upholstery, carpet, or desks.
Using a vacuum also helps to capture any stray bits of dust that may have escaped the grasp of your microfiber cleaner.
Every time an office-goer touches the items on their desk, they end up increasing the colonies of micro-bacteria that live atop the phones, mice, keyboard, and lamps. The only real way of getting rid of these numerous colonies on the various desks across the office is to disinfect them thoroughly.
The job of the person responsible for disinfecting the office is to cover as many items of regular use as possible. Ideally, everything in the office needs to be disinfected, but it is doubly important to pay close attention to the items that get used on a regular basis.
Rinse and Repeat
Each of the three steps mentioned above need to be repeated on a weekly or bi-weekly basis at least in order to maintain the cleanliness levels in the office. Making small changes within the office, such as increasing the availability of disinfectant wipes, will ensure that the employees will also be able to play their part in maintaining the hygiene levels in the office.
Read more here: 5 Ways to Reduce Dust in Your Office Workspace
How to Clean and Disinfect Common Office Items
In this section, we discuss the specifics of cleaning the most commonly found items in an office.
- If you’re using a desktop system, disconnect the monitor before you start cleaning. Laptops and their keyboard can be cleaned directly. Use a damp microfiber cleaning cloth to clean these surfaces.
- Removing the dust from the vents can be done with the help of a small vacuum that has an upholstery brush.
- Cleaning the glass of the monitor is easy with the help of a glass cleaner solution.
- A can of compressed air can help to remove dust particles in the crevasses of the monitor.
- A keyboard tends to hold a lot of chunky bits of dust in the space between the keys. Make sure to shake out the keyboard over a dustbin.
- A can of compressed air can be used to remove any stray dust particles firmly lodged between the keys.
- If you don’t have compressed air cans, an easy solution involves folding a sticky note with the sticky section facing outwards and running the note through the spaces between the keys.
- Using cotton swabs that have been dipped in alcohol can be useful in eliminating further dust particles between the keys.
- Finally, spray some disinfectant on a microfiber cleaning cloth and clean the top surface of the keyboard.
- If your chair has an upholstery tag, use the instructions provided by the brand.
- If not, use a small vacuum with an upholstery attachment to clean the top surface of the chair.
- A microfiber cleaning cloth can be used to wipe the hard surfaces.
- If the fabric of the chair is water-proof, use a soapy liquid to clean the fabric.
- If not, use a mix of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of essential oils to clean the fabric.
How to Organize an Office
Organizing a workspace helps to improve the mood and mindset of employees. A well-organized and clean office is indeed a happy one, and the following steps will help improve the flow within an organization.
- Try to minimize the number of items within a location. The lower the levels of clutter, the cleaner the workspace.
- Encourage employees to clean their desks regularly. Recommend that they divide the desk into two zones — computer related work and non-computer related work.
- Float the idea of employees creating a junk drawer in their storage space instead of piling all the useless items into a corner.
- Make trash cans available easily around the office.
- Create a stacking and filing system within the office so that documents don’t get misplaced or pile on unnecessarily.
- Use the walls in the office to increase storage and creative space. Hanging whiteboards and shelves on the walls is a great way of making use of empty spaces.
Your Next Move: A Professional Office Cleaning Service
Keeping an office clean can be a challenging task considering the numerous hands that contribute to a mess round the clock. The only effective method of staying ahead of the office cleaning duties in an office building or commercial space is to make sure that there is a system in place.
Office cleaning duties have to be organized on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to ensure that the mess never gets out of hand. Once an effective system is in place, everything else falls into place as well.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the full scope of commercial and office maintenance and cleaning, give us a call here at Luce SG! Our tailored office cleaning services in Singapore are here to help keep everything in order and in perfect shape.