One of the crucial factors that help influence sleep quality is the mattress you use. A comfortable and supportive mattress can facilitate a good night's sleep, while on the other hand - an uncomfortable and old mattress can lead to various sleep problems.
You may wonder how often & when you should replace your mattress to ensure a good quality of sleep. Below we have highlighted some of the important must-know knowledge that can give you a comprehensive understanding of the indication of the need for a new mattress!
Understanding The Lifespan of a Mattress
A mattress is an investment for your sleep quality. But it is important to note that it’s not meant to last forever. The average lifespan of a mattress will vary depending on several factors such as the quality of the mattress and how it’s cared for and used. But on average, a standard mattress can be expected to last between 7-10 years.
What Are The Factors That Can Affect Mattress Longevity?
The lifespan of your mattress can be influenced by a variety of reasons, below are some of the factors that you need to keep in mind.
- Mattress Quality - The quality of mattress material plays a significant role in its longevity. High-quality mattresses with durable components tend to last longer than the budget option.
- Mattress Type - Different mattress types have varying lifespans. Innerspring mattresses may wear out much faster than latex mattresses.
- Frequency of Use - How often you use the mattress can also affect its longevity. When a mattress is used often, it may not last as long as the other which is not worn as often.
- Body Weight - Individuals with heavier body weight might exert more pressure on the mattress and cause it to wear out more quickly.
- Rotation and Flipping - Some mattresses will benefit from regular rotation and flipping every 6 to 12 months. This can help to even out wear and make it last longer. Do keep in mind that it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s recommendation as not all mattresses can be flipped.
- Maintenance - Cleaning and maintenance practices, such as keeping the mattress clean, addressing stains promptly, and using a mattress protector can also help to extend mattress longevity.
- Room Temperature - The room’s temperature and humidity can affect the mattress materials. Thus it is important to pay to this factor also, as extreme fluctuation might lead to mattress degrading.
Understanding some of the factors above can help you mitigate wear and tear to help maximize the lifespan of your mattresses.
Why Choosing a High-Quality Mattress Is Important?
Mostly, premium and expensive mattresses can give many benefits when compared with the budget one. For example, a high-quality mattress is usually designed to provide optimal comfort to help you sleep more soundly and wake up feeling refreshed. The comfort that you feel might reduce you from tossing or turning around, leading you to a deeper sleep. A good mattress can also provide proper support for your spine, thus ensuring that it can maintain its natural alignment when sleeping. Last but not least, high-quality mattresses also tend to outlast mid-range mattresses in terms of longevity, saving you money in the long run. Investing in a high-quality mattress represents a great investment for your overall health and well-being!
Mattress Care and Maintenance
How to Clean and Protect a Mattress?
As mentioned above, one of the ultimate ways to prolong the lifespan of your mattress is through proper cleaning and maintenance. To clean your mattress, you just need to gather some supplies, and then proceed by washing it with laundry detergent. You can also deodorize the mattress by vacuuming it with baking soda, or use some powerful stain remover to keep it spotlessly clean.
How to Prolong Mattress Lifespan?
To prolong the lifespan of your mattress and keep it in good condition, consider the following tips that we have curated below!
- Use a Mattress Protector - A quality mattress protector can shield the mattress from spills, dust, allergens, and wear and tear. It acts as a barrier, extending the life of your mattress.
- Rotate Mattress Regularly - Rotating your mattress helps distribute wear evenly. For one-sided mattresses, rotate them 180° every few months. For two-sided mattresses, flip them as well.
- Keep It Clean - Regularly vacuum your mattress to remove dust and debris. Additionally, consider using a mattress cover that is easy to remove and wash.
- Avoid Bouncing - Refrain from bouncing on your mattress. As excessive pressure on the springs or foam can lead to quicker wear and tear.
- Clean Stains Promptly - If you spill something on your mattress, clean it promptly using a mild detergent and water.
- Monitor for Signs of Wear - Regularly inspect the mattress for signs of sagging, lumpiness, or visible damage. If you notice these issues, it may be time to replace them.
What Are The Signs That It’s Time for a New Mattress?
No matter how expensive or premium your mattress is, over time it will naturally undergo wear and tear. Below are the common signs of mattress wear and tear that you have to watch out for.
- Sagging: The mattresses might develop visible sagging as it was used daily. This indentation might make it uncomfortable for you when lying down.
- Lumps and Bumps: Irregularities in the mattress such as lumps and bumps can also create discomfort.
- Noisy Springs: If your innerspring mattress is making squeaky or noisy sounds when you move on the bed, then it can suggest that the springs are already deteriorating.
- Visible Damage: Tears, holes, and other visible damage in the mattress is also the most prominent sign that you should buy a new mattress.
- Worsening Sleep: If you consistently wake up with aches and discomfort that you didn’t previously experience, it might mean that your mattress may no longer be able to provide the necessary support for your rest.
Do keep in mind that sleeping on an old, worn-out mattress can have adverse effects on your sleep quality and overall health. Insufficient sleep can compromise your immune system, and cognitive abilities, and increase the risk of chronic conditions like obesity, diabetes, and even heart disease.
Book Luce MG Service Today!
The quality of your sleep is closely tied to the condition of your mattress. Understanding the lifespan of a mattress, recognizing the signs of wear and tear, and knowing how to take care of your mattress properly can help you achieve good sleep quality.
If you want to ensure your mattress can last long, it might be best to let Luce MG handle your mattress cleaning needs. By hiring our reliable cleaner, you don't have to worry about how to maintain your mattress anymore!